Who we are
We are pilgrims,
together on a spiritual journey,
trusting God to show us the way.
We follow Jesus, seeing God's image in every face,
inviting all people into the circle of God's grace.
We joyfully worship in song and in prayer,
and eagerly proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ
in word and in deed:
by caring for each other, serving neighbors
in need, and seeking peace with justice.
Church of the Pilgrims was founded in 1903 as "The Second Presbyterian Church."
Sixteen years later it was renamed "Church of the Pilgrims," and rededicated as the national church of the southern Presbyterians, at a time when northern and southern Presbyterian churches were still divided.
Pilgrims was originally intended as a home away from home for southern Presbyterian men and women "pilgrimaging" in our nation's capital. The present building was constructed in 1928 with funds from Presbyterian churches throughout the south.